Retention After Treatment
Retainers are appliances which look like thin sports mouthguards. They are designed to be worn once your braces have been removed to ensure your teeth stay in position. Retainers are a very important phase of treatment, as without them your teeth could begin to move throughout growth and even in adulthood.
Types of Retainers
There are three basic types of retainers:
- Hawley Retainers, made of metal and acrylic
- Essix Retainers, made of clear plastic (they look like Invisalign aligners)
- Permanent Retainers, which are glued to the back of your teeth
Get More Information
We have been providing Braces and Retainers to hundreds of happy clients who are enjoying a more confident smile now. Call us now to see if you require a Retainer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to commonly asked questions:
- Broken or Lost Retainers – Contact the practice as soon as possible for us to arrange to see you to make new retainers. The longer it is left, the greater the risk your teeth may move.
- Aftercare –It is important you keep your retainers in good condition to allow them to do their job of keeping your newly straightened teeth straight. When they are not in your mouth, keep them in the container provided and store them away from heat sources. When wearing them, always put your retainers in and take them out using your fingers. Push them on firmly to ensure they are seated over the teeth properly.
- Eating – Only drink cold water when you are wearing your retainers – do not eat with them in. If you take them out to eat or drink, please ensure the teeth are perfectly clean before you put them back in as (particularly sugary or acidic) foods and drinks will leave residue in the retainer and may damage your teeth.
Everyone is very cheerful, welcoming and friendly. You are dealt with in a professional manner and everything is explained at every stage of the process. I would highly recommend Basil and his team
Basil and his team worked hard to make my teeth straight, I love them and will look after them forever!
I would not hesitate in recommending Basil and his wonderful team to anyone that has been pondering having their teeth sorted out once and for all!